Wednesday 14 January 2009

YELLOW MOON OVER EAST LONDON

Bearded men. Men with beards. Stout bearded types of the British Isles, come sit at my knee as I tell you about a couple of records which have excited my interest of late. By the way, you don't actually have to have a beard to read this post, but by gum, you certainly need one to write it.
Anyway, bend your ear in the direction of The Yellow Moon Band, based around Jo and Danny, the organisers of the Green Man festival, who have just put out their first album, 'Travels Into Several Remote Nations Of The World' , eight slices of psychedelic folk, epic funk tinged instrumentals which take me back to my misspent youth raising Wicker Men and imprisoning Edward Woodward....oh no, hang on, that was in a film I saw once. Anyway, it's that kind of thing, if you know what I mean.
The Yellow Moon Band also make an appearance on an amazing compilation that we've just got back in stock: 'A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble: Vol 1 - Cosmic Space Music' , two CDs compiled and mixed by The Amorphous Androgynous, who some of you older types might remember as Future Sound Of London. At the time this compilation came out, Kyle was moved to say it was the best record in the shop, and with a line up that includes Betty Davis, Pentangle, Can, The Emperor Machine and David Axelrod, as well as folk classics like 'Feel The Spirit' by Heaven And Earth, East European Prog-Funk from Mahagon and cosmic covers of 'I Am The Walrus' and the mighty 'Wichita Lineman', this record has pretty much been welded into my CD player since late last year. My favourite moment comes when Miles Davis' epic 'Rated X' muscles its way into the mix - sounds incredible on the shop speakers, believe me. If the Amorphous Androgynous are reading this, can't wait for Volume 2!
Also a quick word about a brilliant 12" that's just arrived in the shop, a double sider from Directors Cut which deconstructs Giorgio Moroders 'Evolution' and the 'Tomorrows World' theme tune to floor shaking effect.
That's enough for today. The shop is about to be invaded by (The) Virgins and I need to have my wits about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment